Women’s Post Match: Manchester United vs. Everton

Manchester United vs. Everton

Manchester United Women extend their unbeaten start to the Women’s Super League with a resounding 3-0 victory against Everton. The Reds bounced back from a 2-2 draw against Durham in the Conti Cup earlier in the week.

Merseysider Nikita Parris gave her team an early lead, before teammates Leah Galton and Hayley Ladd added to United’s tally. Mary Earps kept a clean sheet on the other end of the pitch, making it five in a row.

The win sees United become only the second team in the Super league to win their first five matches with conceding a goal.


United were quick off the mark, and Ella Toone did well to connect with Lucia Garcia’s pass from the right to aim the ball towards goal. Everton’s keeper Courtney Brosnan was forced to make an early save and deny Toone, pushing the ball over the bar.

Everton failed to assert themselves as United dominated, and this early pressure paid off for the visitors. Galton connected with Katie Zelem’s pass into the box. Her header fell short of goal, but it fell into Parris’s path, who neatly slotted the ball into the far corner.

The Toffees found their footing and had chances of their own to draw level. Gabrielle George tore across the goal line to fire the ball to the near post, but Mary Earps was there with the block. Just after the 30min mark, Agnes Beever-Jones fired a ball into range but Earps was there to make the save in the progressively worsening weather.

Manchester United vs. Everton: Hayley Ladd makes it 3-0 to United.


Immediately after the break, Parris got the ball near the middle of the pitch and charged towards goal. She played the ball to Toone, whose shot was deflected away by a defender.

Toone then played a brilliant assist to the left, where Galton charged down the pitch. Galton fought past three Everton defenders to neatly aim the ball into the far corner, making it 2-0 to United.

United put the game truly out of Everton’s reach near the 70th minute mark. A good team effort saw Ladd receive the ball just on the edge of the penalty box. She curled the ball into the top corner, past the keeper’s outstretched arms to extend United’s lead.

Everton had a chance in the dying minutes, Karen Holmgaard trying for goal from close range but Earps was there again with an outstretched book to keep another clean sheet. United’s next Super League match is against Chelsea, on November 6th.

About Sabaa 41 Articles
New Yorker living in London. Likes beyond football include chocolate, naps, coffee, and doing nothing. Dislikes include losing (anything, not just football matches), insects, and waking up before my alarm clock. The one thing I know for certain is that I'll never stop loving this team.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.